The Dangers of Acid Lowering Drugs
Dr. Phil Pappas 2015
- Failure to digest foods properly. This will result in a general malabsorption of proteins. Achlorhydria or Hypochlorhydria as induced by antacids (tums) and H2 blockers (Zantac, Tagamet) and protein pump inhibitors (Prilosec, Nexium) substantially increases one's risk of osteoporosis. Severe bone loss has been reported when using these drugs.
- Failure to absorb trace elements. Trace elements are essential for normal body function. If these are not present then the biochemistry of the body will slow, organs will slow and this will accelerate the aging process. Expect to see people getting diseases, such as cancer, heart disease and neuro-degenerative conditions, before their time.
- Failure to sterilize the stomach contents. More susceptiblty to gut infections such as gastro-enteritis and enteroviruses such as Epstein-Barr virus, Coxsackie virus, Echovirus and so on. Gastric acid is an essential part of normal defenses against disease. Those on acid lower drugs have a higher risk of pneumonia and increased risk of serious infection if hospitalized.
- Allergy to gut microbes. Gut microbes are miniscule compared with human cells and can easily spill over into the bloodstream with the potential to cause allergic or inflammatory reactions. Irritable bladder or interstitial cystitis is an obvious case.Increase risk of diseases including arthritis, venous ulcers, rosacea, "intrinsic" asthma, mesenteric adenitis, rheumatic fever, polymyalgia rheumatica and others can be explained by this mechanism.
- Fermenting brain. Low levels of microbes in the brain may ferment neurotransmitters into LSD and amphetamine like substances (to cause hyperactivity, psychosis and more) or ferment out serotonin, acetylcholine, GABA to cause low mood and depression. This may explain a whole range of psychiatric conditions and establishes the mechanism of the widely observed food-mood connection.
- Increased risk of stomach cancer. Having the wrong bacteria and yeast in the stomach will irritate the lining of the stomach and increase one's risk of stomach cancer.
- Malabsorption of vitamin B12. Using a proton pump inhibitor such as Omeprazole (Prilosec), will reduce absorption of vitamin B12 to less than 1% of expected.
- Risk factor for cancer.Many bowel tumors are driven by microbes in the upper fermenting gut. We know that helicobacter pylori infection is a risk factor for stomach cancer.
So how do you manage reflux? What can an individual do to prevent damage to the esophagus? First, stop eating the things that cause reflux.
- Orange juice, lemon, lemonade, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, tomato, mashed potatoes, French fries, raw onion, potato salad
- Liquor, wine, coffee, beer, soda or carbonated drinks and possibly tea
- Chocolate, corn and potato chips, high-fat butter cookies, brownies, doughnuts, creamy and oily salad dressings, fried or fatty food in general
- Macaroni and cheese, spaghetti with marinara sauce and many cooked tomato products
- Sour cream, milk shake, ice cream, cottage cheese
- Anything that bothers you
Next you need to change some habits.
- Don’t sit or lay down after a meal.You need to walk for at least fifteen minutes
- Lose the gut
- Eat smaller amounts of food
- Never eat within four hours of bedtime
There are many products that can help.
- Mastic gum will cure an ulcer, kill the bacteria in the gut and also help with reflux
- Artichoke is a common digestive aid dating back thousands of years
- Fenugreek, licorice, fennel and ginger are well known digestive aids
- Digestive enzymes help digest food
- Probiotics correct bacterial flora for better absorption
- See www.earthfoods.us for products